University of Sheffield Library
Image of Western Bank Library copyright: University of Sheffield
About the library
The University of Sheffield Library holds over 1.3 million printed items as well as an extensive collection of electronic resources. The collections are housed across a number of sites:
- Western Bank Library: contains material for sciences; arts & humanities; architecture; East Asian studies; social sciences (except economics; information studies; management); environmental studies; urban studies; geography (including maps), town and regional planning; urban studies; landscape architecture; developing countries; law; and music.
- St George's Library: contains material for engineering; materials; computer science; leisure management; management; economics; library and information studies; and the Lifelong Learning Collection.
- Health Sciences Library, Royal Hallamshire Hospital: contains material for medicine; nursing; and dentistry
- Health Sciences Library, Northern General Hospital: contains material for medicine and nursing
- Information Commons: contains core textbooks for all subjects for undergraduate and postgraduate study, and is open only to registered students and staff of the University of Sheffield
The local library catalogue is available online.
British Library Interlibrary Loan Codes
- Main Library: GL2
- Health Sciences Library: GL2
- St George's Library: GL2
- Institute of Historical Research Library: F2
Can I see live document availability on Copac? Yes. The Copac local holdings display will tell you if a document is currently on loan, reference only etc. as well giving you local location details.
Can I obtain items via Inter Library Loan? Yes, subject to the library's local lending policy. You have to request an inter-library loan via a library of which you are a member. Talk to your own library staff about whether they think the document you need is likely to be available for loan and for advice on making an inter-library loan request.
Can I visit the library to view materials? Yes - visit the library's web site for access details. If you wish to visit it is advisable to contact the library in advance to ensure the material you need will be available.
How do I find primary source material held at this institution? Visit the University of Sheffield's contributor page at the Archives Hub for information.
University of Sheffield data on Copac
Example record from the University of Sheffield libraries:
Title: Ibrahim : or the illustrious bassa : the whole work in four parts / written in French by Monsieur de Scudery and now Englished by Henry Cogan, gent. [By: Scudéry, Madeleine de 1607-1701.]
Published: London : printed by J.R. and are to be sold by Peter Parker, at his shop at the Leg and Star over against the Royal Exchange, and Thomas Guy, at the corner-shop of Little-Lumbard street and Cornhil 1674
You can browse all the titles on Copac starting with the above title.