University of Southampton Library
Image of the Hartley Library. Copyright: the University of Southampton
About the library
Southampton University has five library sites:
- Hartley Library: holds the main collections for arts, economics, education, engineering, geography, history, humanities, law, mathematics, physical sciences ,biological sciences including biochemistry, environmental sciences, physiology and other pre-clinical medical subjects, nursing and social sciences. Also houses the Special Collections.
- Avenue Library: contains a small Reserve collection for all arts subjects except music.
- Health Services Library: supports the Faculties of Medicine and Health Sciences. It is based at the Southampton General Hospital, and also provides services for NHS staff.
- National Oceanographic Library: contains the main collections for oceanography and geology. It is located at the National Oceanography Centre Southampton and supports the work of the Natural Environment Research Council and the University.
- Winchester School of Art Library: a specialist art and design library based in Winchester, it covers art and design history, fine art, fashion and textiles, cultural studies, film and photography.
The local library catalogues are available online.
British Library Interlibrary Loan Codes
- Hartley Library: G2
- National Oceanographic Library: GL2
Can I see live document availability on Copac? Yes. The Copac local holdings display will tell you if a document is currently on-loan, reference only etc. as well giving you local location details.
Can I obtain items via Inter Library Loan? Yes, subject to the library's local lending policy. You have to request an inter-library loan via a library of which you are a member. Talk to your own library staff about whether they think the document you need is likely to be available for loan and for advice on making an inter-library loan request.
Can I visit the library to view materials? Yes - visit the library's web site for access details. If you wish to visit it is advisable to contact the library in advance to ensure the material you need will be available.
How do I find primary source material held at this institution? Visit the University of Southampton's contributor page at the Archives Hub for information.
University of Southampton data on Copac
Example record from the University of Southampton libraries:
Title: [On the Tertiary Fluvio-marine formation of the Isle of Wight, by E. Forbes] : Section C from the Solent near Worsley's Tower to the sea under High Down Beacon, Section D from Tolland's Bay across the western extremity of Headon Hill to the sea near the Main Bench. / [By Bristow, Henry W.]
Published: London : Longmans 1856
You can browse all the titles on Copac starting with the above title.