University of Aberdeen Library
Image copyright: the University of Aberdeen
About the library
The University of Aberdeen’s collections contain over a million items collected over five centuries. These are housed between four library sites over three campuses, and also several closed access stores, making it one of the largest and best equipped academic facilities in Scotland. Sites are specialised as follows:
- The Sir Duncan Rice Library (arts, science, education and social sciences) including the Special Collections Centre, containing over 150,000 printed volumes dating from the fifteenth to the twentieth century
- Taylor Library and European Documentation Centre (law with official UK and EU publications)
- The Medical Library (hospital, laboratory, pre-clinical, community-based medicine and medical science)
- Reid Library (human and animal nutrition, related health sciences)
The local library catalogue is available online.
British Library Interlibrary Loan Codes
- Sir Duncan Rice Library: J2
- Medical Library: G2
- Reid Library, Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health: G2
Can I see live document availability on Copac? Yes. The Copac local holdings display will tell you if a document is currently on-loan, reference only etc. as well giving you local location details.
Can I obtain items via Inter Library Loan? Yes, subject to the library's local lending policy. You have to request an inter-library loan via a library of which you are a member. Talk to your own library staff about whether they think the document you need is likely to be available for loan and for advice on making an inter-library loan request. See www.abdn.ac.uk/library/facilities/services/interlibrary-loans/
Can I visit the library to view materials? Yes - visit the library's web site for access details. If you wish to visit it is advisable to contact the library in advance to ensure the material you need will be available.
How do I find primary source material held at this institution? Visit the University of Aberdeen's contributor page at the Archives Hub for information.
University of Aberdeen data on Copac
Example record from the Aberdeen collections:
Cosmographie in four books : containing the chorographie and historie of the whole world, and all the principal kingdoms, provinces, seas, and isles thereof.
Other titles: Microcosmus
Published: London : Seile 1657
You can browse all the titles on Copac starting with the above title.