Historic England Library
Website: www.historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/library/ E-mail (general enquiries): email@example.com Tel: +44 (0)1793 414632
About the library
The Historic England Library contains extensive collections on the archaeology and architecture of England. Contents date from the late 1500s up to the present day, with parts of the collection inherited from The Ministry of Works. This includes the Mayson Beeton Collection, a collection of some 830 books focused on London and its surroundings, dating from 1633 to 1940.
Other collection strengths include long runs of national and county periodicals, and material collected on specific geographic areas.
The Library contains approximately 60,000 book titles, reports, pamphlets, etc., along with 1200 periodical titles, of which c. 400 are active. The collection is reference only.
The Historic England catalogue also includes records for titles freely downloadable from the Historic England Research Report Series gateway, including titles in the following series:
- Ancient Monuments Laboratory Reports
- Archaeological Investigation Reports
- Centre for Archaeology Reports
- English Heritage Historical Analysis & Research Team reports and papers : 1st series
- English Heritage Research Department Reports
- English Heritage Research Reports
- Historic England Research Reports
and for titles freely downloadable from the Historic England publications database, including titles in the following series:
- Historic England Advice & Guidance [HEAG]
- Introductions to Heritage Assets [English Heritage]
- Scheduling Selection Guides
- Designation Listing Selection Guides
- Historic England Advice Notes
- BsEST Practice
- English Heritage Good Practice Advice Notes
- Good Practice Advice in Planning Notes (GPA)
- Register of Parks and Gardens Selection Guides
Can I see live document availability on Copac? No.
Can I obtain items via Inter Library Loan? No.
Can I visit the library to view materials? Yes - see the Library's web site for access details. If you wish to visit it is advisable to contact the Library in advance to ensure the material you need will be available.
How do I find primary source material held at this institution? Visit the Historic England Archive's website for more information.
Historic England Library data on Copac
Example record from the Historic England Library's collections:
Mellificium mensionis, or, the marrow of measuring, wherin [...] is shewn how to measure glazing, painting, plaistering, masonry, joyners, carpenters and bricklayers works [...] / [By Mandey, Venterus]
You can browse all the titles on Copac starting with the above title.